Want to cut down on your electricity bill and reduce your personal environment impact? Install solar panels on your home and protect yourself from rising energy costs. Though it’s not an easy task, but complete dedication and hard work will give you fruitful results. Read ahead to know more about solar power installation.
To start with, you must have thought why most people have started showing interest towards solar electric power systems, didn’t you? The answer lies in numerous benefits it offers. The solar panels use the sun as its source to generate electricity, which is available in abundance. They are reliable, safe, involves zero maintenance, is renewable and most importantly, electricity generation using solar panels does not emit any greenhouse gases and is pollution free. Plus, the solar electricity system does not involve any moving parts and is thus noiseless. Another reason why you can mount it on your walls!
Apart from meeting with your electricity demands, one more benefit of solar power installation at your home is that it increases its resale value! Reduction in your bill of around $1000 increases the resale value of your house by $1000 to $25000.
What equipment is required for solar power installation?
- Photovoltaic array: Multiple solar panels form a PV array that produces direct current from sunlight. You can integrate them on walls or mount on them or even on rooftops. You can even install them on nearby grounds, window awnings, parking shades.
- DC/AC inverter: Since most of the electrical appliances use alternating current, the inverter converts DC power to AC power.
- Production meter: It will measure the energy output.
- Safety devices such as AC Disconnect and DC disconnect.
- Breaker box: Power produced from the solar electric system enters your house via this breaker box. Electricity generated from PV panels is used first and if more electricity is required, utility grid power is automatically used. If your PV system generates more power than what is required, the excess flows back to the utility thereby turning your billing meter backwards.
How to install the solar panels?
If you are doing it yourself, follow the steps mentioned below.
- Bury conduits and build a platform to support the PV array. Remember to place them in the area which receives maximum sunlight.
- Mount the panels on the platform and angle them. Then elevate its rear portion and secure them into place.
- Wire the panels together and join them in a fuse combiner box.
- Now finish the connection by running the DC wiring from the panels to your home and then connect the panels to an inverter.
- Now you need to connect the inverter to the rest of your building’s existing electricity supply. Also, install a small modern consumer unit and generation meter to the existing fuse box. Remember to switch off your power while you do this.
- Finally, switch on the inverter and power up the system.
The installation part and wiring task is not easy as it seems so. However, you can always take help and hire some contractors to perform the task.
Solar power installation is an effective method to drastically reduce the amount in your electricity bill. Though the setup might be a hard job, but once completed, it will be definitely worth it. With numerous benefits to offer, install them today.